Sunday, November 8, 2015

SRC - Latkes

Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal I love getting my blog assignment each month and this month I was assigned the blog Oh! You Cook.  Dena has a great blog with an emphasis on Kosher foods, she is also a cookbook author of The Everything Kosher Slowcooker Cookbook.

I am really not familiar with Kosher foods, so it was really interesting and informative spending time looking through Dena's blog.  I usually go straight to the dessert section of my assigned blog each month, I was tempted by thapple fritter muffins  and the treacle tart  because it is such a classic English tart, in the end though I went with something that is completely new to me and that was the potato latkes.

They are quick and easy to make, we had them on a night that Randal grilled steaks and they were a great side to have.  We loved them and decided we would definitely be making these again!


2 large potatoes
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 tsp  kosher salt
vegetable oil

Peel and grate the potatoes.  Place the potatoes in paper towels and roll up to remove as much liquid as possible.  Place potatoes in a large bowl, add the diced onion, egg, flour and salt.  Mix together.

Add oil to a frying pan, enough to cover the bottom of the pan, heat over medium high heatAdd heaping tablespoons of the potato mixture to the pan, flatten out and fry for 3-5 minutes per side, until browned.  It is traditional to serve with apple sauce.

Pin It

9 comments:

Kate said...

I am trying to master latkas.... Will have to give yours a try! Great SRC choice.

Oh! You Cook! said...

Since Hanukkah is early this year (less than a month away - eek!) your SRC selection is very timely! Great photo too!

Stephanie said...

I've never been successful at making latkes or hashbrowns. I think everyone has that one thing they can't do, and I just can't do this. These look great though. Just stopping in from group C to say great job.

Camilla M. Mann said...

I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah@WellDined said...

Simple and yummy :-) I had such a great time looking through your blog this month!

Amanda E said...

Tis almost the season for Latkes so perfect SRC pick in more ways than one!!!

Cookaholic Wife said...

I've wanted to make these for the longest time but keep putting it off. Yours look great!

Linda@2CookinMamas said...

I have never made latkes either but our family made something similar. We formed patties from leftover mashed potatoes and pan-fried them until they got a crispy layer on each side. Maybe that is what we were making all along - who knew?! Yours look just the way I like my potato pancakes - yum!

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang said...

I've never made these before, but yours look great! I think it's just about the right season for them too. :)