Sunday, May 10, 2015

SRC - Steak Grilled Cheese with Beer Braised Onions

Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal,  this month I was assigned the blog Wildflours Cottage Kitchen.  I usually send my assigned blog to my husband and have him help pick the recipe, but this time I found so many things I wanted to make on Kelly's blog that were right up our alley that I didn't need any help!

I somehow managed to narrow down my list to these pub style steak sandwichesKorean bbq pork chops and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.  The steak sandwiches won over the others, because for one, being English I love pub food and have spent many an hour in the pub, and I also love the combination of beer and cheese and as this recipe combined both of those things I knew it was the winner!

For any kind of grilled sandwich I have found that the best bread to use is English toasting bread, it is a little dryer and stiffer than regular white bread and always grills up nice and crispy and holds up to all the fillings of the sandwich.  I left Randal in charge of the steak and he decided to grill one of our favourites, a flat iron steak that we sliced up and it worked out perfectly.  These were fantastic and we will be having these again soon!


1 flat iron steak
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Onions:
1 large onion, sliced
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dark brown sugar
1/4 cup beer

Other ingredients:
4 slices
English toasting bread
4 slices provolone cheese
4 slices havarti cheese
4 tbsp butter

For the steak, mix together the salt, pepper and garlic powder and coat the steak on both sides.  Grill the steak for around 8 minutes each side.  Leave to rest.

To make the onions, in a large pan, melt the butter, add the onions, seasonings and beer and cook until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.

To assemble the sandwiches, slice the steak against the grain.  On 2 slices of the bread, place a slice of each of the cheeses, pile on the steak, top with onions and the remaining cheese slices.

On a heated griddle, add 2 tablespoons butter, once melted place the sandwiches on the griddle.  Butter the top bread slice and leave to toast until golden brown, flip and toast the other side of the sandwiches.   

Pin It

7 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

Oh yes! This has everything we like...except the ice cold beer on the side and that can be arranged! Looking forward to enjoying your Steak Grilled Cheese!

Unknown said...

OMG, this sammy is calling my husbands name - I think Ill suprise him this week with one! Great SRC pick!
xoxo from London

Corina said...

These look so good. I often make toasted sandwiches but not as good as this - I think I need to put a bit more love in them and make it into a great meal like this rather than a last minute quick meal, which is what mine usually are.

BecHeflin said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah...this sandwich is right up my alley, too! My hubs and I will love this hearty sandwich!

Unknown said...

Yes please! This looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

That is one mega grilled cheese! Yum!

Camilla M. Mann said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing with the SRC.