Monday, February 16, 2015

Chateaubriand

For quite a few years now our valentines day tradition was having a variety of appetizers and mini desserts for dinner.  We stopped going out for valentines day a long time ago, restaurants here are just too crowded and crazy and to be honest I would rather just be home with my honey.  However, that basically meant I would spend all day in the kitchen making lots of little dishes, all while juggling the daycare kids.

So, when Randal realised that valentines day was on a Saturday this year he immediately declared he wanted to make a really nice dinner for me, and I know my husband well enough to know that would involve steak of some sort.  He finally decided on chateaubriand, and yes it can be a spendy cut of meat, but I knew we would have spent more going out to a nice restaurant so I was fine with it.  The most amazing part of this was that I got to spend the afternoon sipping buck's fizz (my favourite!) while my honey worked away in the kitchen, and yes I did help just a little, but he did most of the work creating a delicious chateaubriand, peppercorn sauce, roasted boursin potatoes, green bean bundles, mushrooms and peppers and garlic herb biscuits.  I feel very lucky to not only have a husband who can cook but one that actually enjoys it!


3lb tenderloin filet
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp rosemary
salt and pepper

Season the filet with salt and pepper.  In a large pan heat the olive oil.  Sear the meat on all sides, remove from pan and leave to rest for 10 minutes while the oven heats to 350.

Place the filet in a roasting pan, sprinkle with the rosemary and roast for 10 minutes, then flip the roast over, and continue cooking for a further 20 minutes.  Rest for 10m minutes before slicing.

Pin It

No comments: