Sunday, March 16, 2014

Jambalaya

Time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal.  This month I was assigned the blog close to home.  I love getting my assignment each month, and getting to look through all the recipes on that blog.  The first thing I noticed about this blog was how nice and bright the pictures are.  I really need to improve the pictures on my blog, but I need a new camera first!

One of the first recipes I found ended up being the one I went back to and decided to make.  I have never made jambalaya before, and it seemed seasonally appropriate and Randal very much wanted to try it, and I am very glad that we ended up loving it as it made a huge amount and we were eating it for days!


8 chicken thighs
1 lb sausage
1/2 lb shrimp
1 onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 cups diced celery
3 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno, minced
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
5 cups chicken stock
3 cups rice
3 bay leaves
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped spring onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Heat oil in a large pan, add sausage and cook until browned, around 8 minutes. Remove sausage and add chicken thighs and cook for 5 minutes per side to brown them.  Remove from pan.

Add the butter, followed by the onion, celery and bell peppers to the pan.  Cook for 10 minutes, until softened.  Add the canned tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, tomato paste, oregano, thyme and cajun seasoning.  Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.  Add the rice, salt and pepper, bay leaves and the chicken and sausage.  Cook for 30 minutes.  Add in the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes, before mixing in the spring onion, parsley and lemon juice.
Pin It

14 comments:

Camilla M. Mann said...

Thanks, Sarah! This looks fantastic. I didn't make Jambalaya on Mardi Gras this month. I might just have to do it now. Great post. Love that you picked this for your SRC reveal.

Rebekah said...

I had your blog this month - and made your spicy corn chowder with chicken - it was delicious!

This jambalaya sounds great - and I bet it does make a huge batch! I'm sure even my family of 7 would have plenty of leftovers. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for choosing this recipe, we did love this too.

Kathy Walker said...

Jambalaya is so tasty! The ingredient lists seems to go on forever but it is so worth the effort! Nice SRC selection....

AM Nichols said...

I love jambalaya but usually get it when we go to some of our favorite New Orleans style restaurants. Great choice!

Unknown said...

Your jambalaya looks great!

Jeanie said...

I love jambalaya.

SeattleDee said...

The ingredient list looks daunting, but OH! the flavor mix is so worth it. This jambalaya sounds like a winner.

Stephanie said...

I love jambalaya but I've never made it from scratch. This looks wonderful

Stephanie said...

I love jambalaya but I've never made it from scratch. This looks wonderful

Deb A said...

Great looking recipe.... I'm new to SRC - can't wait until next month!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

ooh - I love some jambalaya. looks great!

shelley c. said...

My husband loves jambalaya - I am going to bookmark this to try for him! Thanks! Great choice.

Julie said...

I love a good Jambalaya! Perfect for Mardi Gras month.