Sunday, October 28, 2012

Frikkadels - South African Meatballs

As soon as I saw this recipe over at Manilla Spoon I knew I had to try it.  I love anything curry and baked curried meatballs sounded great and looking at the ingredients I knew that Randal and I would love it. Mine didn't thicken up as much as I would have liked, but we both loved this and will definitely be making this again.


2 lbs ground beef
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp mango chutney
2 eggs
1/8 cup rice vinegar
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves
1 can coconut milk
3 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325.

To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of oilve oil in an oven proof pan, add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk, canned tomatoes, curry powder, brown sugar and a tsp of salt.  Leave to simmer.

To make the meatballs, combine the beef, oatmeal, chutney, eggs and spices into large 2 inch meatballs. Add to the sauce, cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Pin It

No comments: