Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Indian Summer Stew

I bought some butternut squash last week without anything in mind to make with it, so I went looking through my pinned recipes and found this summer stew recipe from the food network. I made a few changes, I added some carrots and potatoes because I had a few needing to be used up, and I cooked it for quite a while longer than the original recipe as it took about an hour for the split peas to soften.
 
 


1 cup yellow split peas
2 cups butternut squash, diced
1 tomato, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey
1 lime, juiced
 
Rinse the split peas and place in a large soup pot with the squash, tomato, carrots, potatoes, coconut, tumeric, cumin, and the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, and then simmer, covered for an hour.

In a small skillet, heat the oil Add the mustard seeds and when they stop popping, add the red pepper flakes, garlic, and salt, cook for 10 seconds. Add the spices to the soup pot along with the salt, lime and honey.


Pin It

No comments: