Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lemon Chess Pie

Randal has been asking me to make a buttermilk chess pie for a long time, but I've never tried one and to be honest from what I've seen they don't really appeal to me much, so when I saw this recipe for a lemon version over at Ezra Pound Cake, I thought this would be a good way to try a chess pie as I usually love everythng lemon. This is actually a nice lemon pie, and maybe someday soon I'll make the plain buttermilk version that Randal really wants!


1 frozen pie crust, defrosted
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp cornmeal
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350.

Whisk eggs in a medium bowl and whick in the sugar, cornmeal, flour, salt, melted butter, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla.

Unroll the defrosted pie crust and lay it in a 9 inch pie plate. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust, and bake in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the pie is golden brown on top and almost set.

No comments: