Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pioneer Woman's Lasagna

Being English I prefer my lasagna to be made with a bechamel sauce, Randal likes lasagna made with cream cheese (his favourite lasagna is made by his friend Kelly, who was the first one to introduce him to the idea of cream cheese with pasta dishes, and now he has cream cheese with pretty much any italian meal we make) and neither one of us care for ricotta much at all. This lasagna is made with a mixture of beef and hot breakfast sausage and a lot of cottage cheese. I really thought that I would be okay with this and Randal would eat it but not really like it that much because of the cottage and parmesan cheeses. I was so wrong, Randal LOVED this, even took a big portion to work today for his lunch, and I really didn't like it that much. I really do not like the sausage flavour in this or the spice from the hot sausage, and I really missed the smooth creaminess that the bechamel brings to lasagna, but I do blame my English tastes for me not liking this, I think most people would love it. The only changes I made to The Pioneer Woman's recipe was that I used half a pound each of mozzerella and provolone, rather than just all mozzerella.


1-1/2 lbs ground beef
1 lb hot breakfast sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5 ounce) whole tomatoes
2 cans (6 ounce) tomato paste
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 teaspoon Salt
3 cups cottage cheese
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
1 box lasagna noodles

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

In a large pan brown beef and saussage, drain fat, add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, the basil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Simmer for 45 minutes.

In a bowl combine the beaten eggs, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons of parsley and 1 teaspoon of salt, mix together.

Once the water comes to a boil, add 1 teaspoon of salt and add the lasagna noodles, cook for 10 minutes.

To assemble the lasagna, place a layer of noodles on the bottom of a baking pan, put half of the cottage cheese mixture evenly over noodles, cover that with the mozzerella cheese and add a third of the meat mixture on top of the cheese. Repeat the layers, this time adding provolone instead of the mozzerella and sprinkle a generous amount of parmesan over the top of the last meat layer.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

No comments: