Sunday, January 15, 2012

Beer and Cheddar Risotto

Just a couple of days after saying I would post more often this year, my computer went and died. I've been going crazy the last 10 days without it, but after spending most of yesterday afternoon trying to bring it back to life, I finally have it back. So now I am playing catch up, trying to get the recipes I've made in the last couple of weeks posted.

I found this recipe over at Made In Mel's Kitchen. I ended up liking this a lot more than Randal did, he said it tasted like the cheese fondue at the melting pot restaurant, which is delicious so of course I loved this risotto!


1/2 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups Arborio rice
12 oz. bottle of beer
48 oz of chicken broth
5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Warm chicken broth over low heat

Heat large pan over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil, when butter has melted add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 minute.

Add rice, cook for 2 minutes, add beer and once it starts to simmer add the chicken broth 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring until absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Keep stirring and adding the broth until the risotto is creamy and the rice is cooked.

Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and cayenne pepper.

No comments: