Monday, November 30, 2009

Curried Chicken and Cider Soup

We have a lot of apple cider in our fridge right now and so I've been looking for recipes to use it in. I had everything I would need to make this soup and decided to give it a try. I think maybe I like my curry flavours a little stronger, so next time I think I will play around with the spicesa little, other than that it was a good soup.



1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup apple cider
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
1/2 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded and meat shredded

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger and 1teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cumin and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the cider, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add 4 cups water and the sweet potato and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower, lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.

Using a blender, and working in batches, puree the soup; return to the saucepan. Stir in the chicken and warm through over medium heat; season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! soup recipe.
Geri