Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Roast Potatoes

Before I post about our entire Christmas dinner, I felt that our yummy roast potatoes deserved a post of their own! a reason why, is that I am usually not so great with the roast potato, I should be considering the great traditional English Sunday roast dinner would not be complete without roast spuds, but I guess I got lazy and forgot all the little tricks my Mum always did to make the perfect roast potato. So, this Christmas I was determined to overcome my past potato failures, and according to my Mum, the secret was goose fat. I was unable to find goose fat, but I did manage to find some duck fat in my favourite store here in Houston, Central Market, it cost $10 for a little tub of it, so don't tell my hubby!


I like to start by having the hubby peel the potatoes!


I like to keep the potatoes quite large, so only cut in half or thirds if they are very large


Take the duck/goose fat or whatever you are using to roast the potatoes in, place it in your roasting tray and pre-heat it in the oven until it is very hot


While the fat is heating, par-boil the potatoes, you don't want them cooked through, so just boil for 4-5 minutes


Drain the potatoes, and then shake them around to rough up the edges, this is what will make the potatoes extra crispy!


Carefully place them in the heated fat


And baste them in the duck fat


Season with salt and pepper


Roast them at 350 degrees for around 45 minutes to an hour, turning them half way through cooking

No comments: